Introducing the dbt Developer Hub: your new home base for the dbt Community
We’re happy to share the dbt Developer Hub, a new home base for the community where folks can discover opportunities to learn, engage with peers, and contribute to the craft of analytics engineering. As the dbt Community scales, we’re committed to creating tools and systems that allow you to find the right place to get involved.
Doing great data work requires more than writing code - it requires organizational commitment, communication and alignment. We want to enable you to build this socio-technical knowledge alongside other folks already doing this work.
It is an incontrovertible truth of online communities that as they grow, new systems are required to keep them organized, friendly and inclusive. In that spirit, we’re investing in community resources which augment and enhance the experiences on platforms such as the dbt Community Slack that folks enjoy today with new ways to engage and contribute. We are committed to doing this in a way that retains the heart of what makes the dbt Community special while providing onramps for new folks to access the entire spectrum of opportunities the Community has to offer.
We’re tying these threads together today with a number of launches on docs.getdbt.com - which is evolving to serve as a home for our product documentation and as a nexus point of community knowledge. This builds upon the existing resources in the dbt Developer Blog and Guides.
Today’s new functionality includes:
Consolidated “Community” Resources. The new community section of the Developer Hub contains resources for:
Think of this as your “single source of truth” for how to engage in the Community. Previously you’d have to look in many different places to determine the right next step in your dbt journey. Now, you can visit the Community tab on the dbt Developer Hub and learn everything from how to sign up for the Community Slack to making your first contribution to dbt Core.
- Integrated Community Forum Discussions: We’re relaunching our Community Forum - Discourse with increased focus on discoverability across community platforms.
- We want to maximize the discoverability of the hard work people do when they ask and answer questions. To that end you can find these integrated in the Developer Hub on the new Forum page as well as dynamically pulled into relevant pages the dbt Product Docs.
- Unified dbt Community Account: New registrants can access the Community Slack and the Community Forum with a single login, either username/password or a social account such as GitHub/Google/LinkedIn.
- Events Feed: The events page will show you upcoming events in the dbt Community. One of the best ways to progress in your dbt journey is to learn directly from others who have solved similar problems. Between an ever expanding meetup community and online events, there are options for everyone to get involved. Previously only this lived on the main site - we’re moving it over so that all our Community resources can be found in one domain.
- Updated Documentation Architecture and Design: The Product Documentation team has been working on reshaping how we present the docs on docs.getdbt.com. This project includes grouping content to help you more easily and efficiently find what you’re looking for and providing more context for new users to better understand topics.
The ultimate goal of all of this is to make it easier for folks to learn, follow and contribute to the creation of community recommended practices. Whether you are community member 100 or 100,000 - you have a place here. We look forward to continuing to work alongside and learn with all of you. Please submit any questions, feedback or suggestions in #community-strategy on the Community Slack or via email at email@example.com.
Last modified on: Nov 29, 2023