0-to-published in 6 weeks
We get it, writing is hard.
It’s hard when you’re a professional writer, say nothing of a data practitioner, moonlighting as a technical blogger.
Which is why we’re here to help.
But first, why write?
We’ve seen first-hand the power of technical blogging to change the trajectory of a career in data.
When you publish your work, serendipity unfolds: readers reach out, other opportunities to participate open up, job openings become easier to access because hiring managers are familiar with your work.
It’s an entirely new and rich form of relationship (writer <> audience) that’s difficult to describe until you’ve experienced it.
Going from 0-to-published
What we’ve found most helpful in getting started as a writer is not any set of tools, tricks or checklists — it’s good old-fashioned support from other humans:
- Peer support, from other people going through the same growth experience
- Editing support, from someone who’s gone through it already and can help pave the way
These two forms of support come together in this 6-week program, at the end of which you’ll publish your first post on the dbt Developer Blog.
Over the course of the program, you’ll be assisted through the technical writing process end-to-end: topic selection, outlining, writing, graphics / screenshare / architecture diagram use, editing, publishing, and distribution.
The program will be hosted by a veteran technical writer from the dbt Community (your editor), who will help you plan, edit, and publish your first technical post.
What to expect
Each week of the program will feature:
- A group workshop session (1hr) with the other writing participants (4-6 of you total), focusing on one of the areas mentioned above (topic selection, outlining, etc.)
- A 1:1 editing session (30min) with your editor
In addition, you, your co-writers and editor will be able to connect asynchronously as needed:
- In a private Slack channel in the dbt Community Slack, or
- By providing feedback on each other’s work in Google Docs
Is this program right for you?
- An active (or aspiring) member of the dbt Community (assuming that’s a yes if you’re seeing this!)
- Worked on a data project recently that you thought was interesting?
- Commit to writing a technical blog post in the next 6 weeks?
How do I apply?
If your answer is yes to the 3 things above, join us! Apply for the next cohort here — applications are due by February 17, 2023. Applicants will be notified by February 24, 2023 if they will be included in the writing cohort starting March 6, 2023.
If you have any questions about the program or application, please reach out to us in the #community-writers channel in the dbt Community Slack.
Last modified on: Nov 22, 2023